Have you ever had fear grip you so hard, to the point where you did not know reality from fantasy? I know I have! Fear is something that we must face and overcome daily! Whether its fear of dying, losing a loved one, being alone, driving, not being able to provide for your family. Can you think of the last time you were crippled with fear? How you felt? What was going through your mind? Did you think you could come on the other side victorious?
Did you ever think that it could be a generational thing? Maybe somewhere down your lineage someone struggled with fear but never dealt with it so now its been passed down to you? or maybe its not even generational, maybe you’ve allowed thoughts and suggestions from the enemy to get inside your head but instead of pleading the blood and shutting down those thoughts, you’ve let it fester and take root. If that’s you, don’t be discouraged! It can stop with YOU and you WILL OVERCOME!
“Fear is not from or of God! It’s straight from hell and a lying wonder“
I remember the first time I came face to face with fear, man my body went numb and my heart was probably pounding out of my chest. I was new in these streets, learning how to drive, how to parallel park, you know the basics. Now, my driving instructor was really nice, chill, laid back it was always a good time filled with laughs and a few frightening moments. So, the first few lessons he had my driving around in residential neighborhoods and empty parking lots but I knew that dreary day would come where I would have to go on the highway. I always had a fear of the highway, just merging onto the highway may my stomach would go into knots.
#flashbackmoment. When I was 7 or 8 years old I was in a terrible car accident. My mom was driving and someone ran her off the road and into a tree, her hand went through the windshield and thank God my dad, brother and I were strapped in because we could have flew through the windshield as well. My mom had to get over 20 stitches and to this if you see her hand you can still see the marks of where she had stitches.
So, the day came to go on the highway little did I know that was the plan. I got in the car and my instructor said we’re just going to drive and I’ll tell you where to go. Now I am feeling confident as ever, cruising, coming to complete stops, talking to my instructor and just living my best life.
We get to this light and depending on which lane you’re in you can either Go straight and continue on the residential road or turn onto the Garden State Parkway. Welp, you see where this is going. Homeboy said, “ Get in your right lane we are going on the parkway”. When I tell you the fear that came over me, my knees got weak, I went numb I didn’t even know if I was pressing the gas or brake. I wanted that light to stay red forever. As I am waiting for cars to pass so I can turn I am starting to lowkey freak out I am sweating ( it wasn’t a cute moment).
Long story short it was show time there was no turning back! I will never forget these words my instructor said as I was turning onto the parkway he said “when you get on the highway just go. Do not stop, & step on the gas“ the look I gave that man, was like a have you lost your mind. I could not turn back, it was a now or never so I took a deep (very deep) breath and stepped on the gas and before you knew it, I was on the parkway driving with the other cars. Of course I stayed in the slow lane I wasn’t that advanced yet. The feeling of relief, joy, and peace I felt was very liberating.
I have so many stories about me coming face to face with fear, near death experiences etc, and how I overcame and no longer allow those experiences to control my daily life.
What causes fear? Unbelief , Lack of faith
Fear is crippling, Fear can even be life changing. We can no longer allow fear to rob us of the promises of God, of our Goals, and especially our Peace. Philippians 4:7 says; And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. That word surpass to me means that no matter what God’s peace is beyond, greater than anything that we will face, When we understand depths of that we will be able to face fear head on. When you guard your heart and mind with the word of God nothing is able to come in to taint your spirit or take your peace. When you know who and whose you are and what God has already established concerning your identity through his word, fear can by no means be a word in your vocabulary.
We are God’s children it gets no better than that! Do you understand the power behind that? The reason why the enemy uses fear to hold us back is because he knows is we tap into our potential and all the gifts and talents God has given us, he knows that he is no contender for us. The enemy knows that once we tap into our identity in Christ, he will not be able to control and manipulate us. We have to remember the devil doesn’t have much longer until God comes back. The devil wants to try to take as many of us with him to burn for eternity because he does not want to suffer alone.
We have to walk in authority and own it. We cannot be timid. If you have your mind set on accomplishing something like writing a book, starting that business, starting that blog, clothing line, going and doing missionary work etc, whatever it is do not let your current situation or circumstances hold you back. Don’t be afraid, Don’t even entertain the “what if” ministry that’s when doubt has room to trickle in. Take a step out on faith and go for it. Like my driving instructor told me, don’t stop “GO“. What’s going to give you that push? Your faith and you resting in the promises God has already spoken over you.
Do you understand the power & depths of the Peace of God? Do you realllllly understand? When you have the peace of God! Man that is a feeling that you cannot even describe or put into words.God has already spoke and established your end from the beginning nothing can move you or disturb you from the truth. “Once God says it THAT’S IT! IT’S ESTABLISHED!”
Romans 8:15-17; For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
Are there different types of Fear? If so, which one is worse?
Simply yes there are different types of fear and as weird as it may sound their is good fear, but there one of these fears is dangerous and you want to avoid.
- One Type is: Reverential Fear: is the fear of God. You respect, in awe, and are in submission to God. You fear God to the point that you don’t want to disappoint. Your not AFRAID of God. God does not want us to be afraid of him.
- Second Type is : Natural Fear- Fear of spiders, heights, public speaking etc. This is a fear that is not bad, you can overcome this fear but its something you will be judged for.
- Third Type is: Sinful Fear; Sinful fear is when you know to do right but do wrong. You know not to steal but you do it anyway, You know not to fornicate but you do it anyway, You know not to curse but you curse anyway, and the list goes on. When it comes to sinful fear I feel like the excuse of God is a forgiving God or I’ll just repent afterwards or my favorite “God knows my heart” God does know your heart and he says in Jeremiah 17:9; The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? and about God being a forgiving God he is but after awhile he will turn you over to a reprobate mind (Romans 1:28). So lets be careful with that, Don’t take advantage of God. This is the one I would stay clear of at all costs.
“When we look at Scripture and we see that our thoughts and actions are opposed to the Word of God, are opposed to God himself, then we can say that we are acting out in fear instead of faith“
Ways To Overcome:
I was listening to my sister from another mister Bianca Juarez Olthoff on Youtube last night and she was talking about ways to overcome fear and anxiety so I took some pointers from her on how to overcome because I do not have all the answers.
- Focus on what you can do, and let go of what you can’t do. :
- You know what you can control and what you cant. Choose your battles wisely. Do not bite off more than you can chew, pace yourself. Whatever you cannot control give it to God, pray about it, ask for direction.
- Name the feeling:
- Put a name to what your feeling. What is the emotion. When you name and know your emotion you will be able to choose if you want to respond to it. We know that fear is not from God so if you name the emotion and feeling “fear” you know that you are to give no place to fear because fear is not from or of God but from the devil.
- B.R.EA.T.H.E. :
- Breathing is very important. When you breathe in very deep for 10 seconds and you release you decrease your anxiety,stress and fear.
- Declare and Decree:
- When fear creeps in its important to shut that down ASAP. When you leave room you can cause more harm than anything. Declare and Decree the word of God over your life, your dreams, your vision, your family, your health, your marriage, your finances so on so forth. The Bible has so many gems and goodness inside.
- Plug and UnPlug:
- This is for social media and even people. Sometimes its best that we know when we need to separate from people and unplug from the world. Mental Health is something that we need to take serious. Unplug from the world and be alone for a little bit to regroup. Take time to sit in silence like literally sit in silence, think, feel, journal, talk to God
If you need God to show YOU, YOU and give you revelation read Psalm 139.
Before I end I want to quickly touch base on what is currently happening with the Coronavirus. When you know who God is you that he is many things, but one of those great things is he is a healer. When you are covered under the blood you already know that you are just that covered. The bible says by His stripes we are healed. Profess that out your mouth, pray over yourself daily. Read Psalm 91. Pray Psalm 91. Of course take every precaution and follow the instruction that we have been given and should be doing anyway, but no need to walk in fear. PERIOD! Gods got you, no sickness or disease will come near your dwell in the name of Jesus.
I love you guys, you are amazing, stay strong, be encouraged. Its not over until God says so.